• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Doomflame

Well, I was given a split sentence for a misdemeanor A. I got 6 months in jail and 3 years of probation. My probation officer, another lawyer, and I have concluded that according to Penal Law 60.10.... or was it 60.01.... that it is illegal. My PO said the probation part would be thrown out. I got a misdeamor A charge for writing a letter from jail.. I was arrested the same day I got out. I told my lawyer that I know who wrote the letter and that I will deinfately not accept any plea bargains. Just today, I found out from my PO that my lawyer put a guilty plea in for 6 months of weekend work detail. Which is 8am-4:30 sat and sun... I never agreed to it, I never went to court for it. I planned on working a deal with the illegal sentence to combine them....dismiss the new charge and just keep the illegal sentence.... I really need alot of advice on all of this.... what can I do? I thought I had final say to my lawyer....but apparantely we don't see things the same way.... he even told me that I have to be in court to tell the judge in person...... this is in a small town in NY.....this would make my 3 misdemeanor A and it shouldn't be that way. Anyone, please offer some advice....anything....thank you so much!

S

shollness

I guess it kind of sucks when you post something and nobody answers you, I really cannot help you on your situation I don't know too much about the jail system, But just thought i would let you know that i notice you give alot of advice to people here, it's really too bad when your in need of advice no one seems to have any, i know the feeling since no one answered my question either. Good luck to you

C

Christel

You do have the final say so it's your case and you can fire one attorney and get another, but it will probably cost. You can always tell the judge you never agreed to that deal you would not like to take it, and ask if the court could inform you and your attorney at the same time of any deals. You have right's. I know here in Ohio you don't have to take a plea or deal unless you willingly and knowingly accepted the plea or deal that was offered. Ask for more time to find yourself a new attorney it will atleast if you more time! Best Wishes and Good Luck!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Christel (edited January 09, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">