• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

independent contractor question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jajamase

From Iowa. If I enter into an agreement with a property mgmt company to perform services for them as an independent contractor but a court later, for whatever reason, determines I am in fact an employee of said company, what could the court do to my me? I know what a court could/would do the company but I want to know what they could do to my company. I am fully licensed, bonded and insured to do this type of work.
Thanks for any reply.

J

jajamase

Hi home guru, thanks for the reply. If the government decided the company I was working for had me on their books as an IC but it was later determined I was really an employee is there anything a court could do to me for the company's deception?

HomeGuru

Not really. Be aware that there are different IC criteria; one being the State and the other IRS.
In my opinion and based on your post, you would not be considered an IC but an employee.
The fact that you need a real estate license and are required to comply with various governmental and property management company regulations supports my claim. Once you review the IC qualification tests for both State and Federal, I am sure that you will agree.
In most cases like yours, the employer gets into trouble because the employer has not been paying the required employer related State and Federal taxes ie. workmans comp, unemployment insurance etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">