• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI-Jailed 16 hours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crisnycteena

I was pulled over in Sacramento, CA by the CHP for speeding. I have a NY license which was suspended out of Nevada (tickets that I am almost done paying and my license was to be reinstated) After 5 or so failed breathalizers and sobriety tests they arrested me so they could give me a blood test in which I tested at .08. My DRUNK friend was passed out in the front seat, which is WHY i was driving. He was the one who had the permission to drive the car. They also impounded the car for 30 days even though I am not the owner. The owner (my sister) arrived at the scene (they had me there for an hour) and they would not release the car to her. I was in jail for 16 hours and had to pay bail to get out. (Missed two days of work) Also they released the car a week later, being that it wasn't mine, so they had no right to impound it and I had to pay $400 to get it back. Also my rights were never read to me. I don't know how much water that holds anymore, but 16 hours of jail, bail, car towing, and no rights ought to be somewhat of a punishment. My court date is in a couple of weeks and Im wondering what exactly I am up against. I NEED HELP!!!!

M

Mr_Intoxicated

16 hours of jail, bail, car towing, and no rights ought to be somewhat of a punishment.
Thats hardly considered 'punishment'. Atleast nobody will look upon that as 'punishment', its more like, 'tough luck'. And you do not necessarily have to have your rights read to you.

As for the crime, if this is a first offense dui, you could possibly be looking at a suspended jail sentence (time served), fine of up to $1,900 or more (additional court fees), alcohol and or drug related testing once a week and put on supervised probabtion, or summary probation for a substanial amount of time.

However, if you have priors, you could be facing a lengthy jail sentence (perhaps even prison), over $5,000 in fines, mandatory supervised probabation for 5 years! Submit to chemical testing at random by your probabtion officer at any given time of day or night they happen to knock on your door; not to mention, attend alcohol/drug related counseling classes and a track program.

These track programs are also very costly, over a $1,000 or more and they extend on for 18 to 39 months! You must complete these, and are only limited to miss so many days.

Also expect to see your liscense revoked until the completion of these track programs, or stated otherwise by the DMV.

Its just not worth it to drink and drive. Just thank God you didn't injure anyone.

H

Humble Warrior

Uhmmmm....yeah....the other dude pretty much covered it all......not to mention the mandatory 48 hours in jail.
If you dont beleive what he said about P.O. searching your house.....see my posting "Probation seems to never end"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">