• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wondering if I would have a Case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DOCEE

The second semester of my freshman year of college I got a new roommate. I was not told until the day I moved back in after winter break. My roommate had mental problems. He thought that there were 50 people on campus after him and he would constantly pace from the door to the window to make sure no one was out there trying to get him. The school knew he had problems but neglected to contact me about it until a month or so into the semester. By then I said I would try to work it out because I felt sorry for the kid. But near the end of the semester we got in a fight and I ended up breaking bones in both my hands so I had casts on both hands and could not write. I tried to withdraw from my calculus class with my professor's permission but my withdrawl forms were seperated from my medical forms by the dean's secretary and he got them a month late. So the dean would not let me withdraw and I failed the class. Later in the summer I tried to retroactively withdrawl with the help of a counselor who wrote a letter to the dean. She explained that that semester I had to live a phsycho and deal with my mother being diagnosed with colon cancer but the dean would not even consider withdrawl he compared my situation to having a loud or messy roommate. After that semester I saw 2 different phsychiatrists and both told me that the roommate exhibited behaviour that should be treated with in patient care and that I had become depressed and now have to take an antidepressant. I was just wondering if I would have any basis to sue the school. Thank you.

D

dorenephilpot

Sounds to me like you might have a cause of action for damages against the school and/or the old roommate.

However, suing is expensive, time-consuming and heart-wrenching -- and there's no guarantee that you'll win. And even if you do, I would guess that the roommate won't have very deep pockets.

Consult with an attorney in your state familiar with the laws there and courts.

Best of luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">