• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OWI in other state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Wife

We live in Minnesota. My husband, who has a MN driver's license, was charged with an OWI in Iowa. How will this be handled between the two states? What will his penalty be?

J

juanitag

My best guess is that the issuing state will prosecute the case just as if your husband lived there. So he should definitely hire an attorney in that other state because the repercussions of this crime are very severe. There are names of attorneys at this website if he hasn't any idea who to call. Also read the section on drunk driving under the criminal law section on this website's home page.

W

Wife

My husband has hired a lawyer in Iowa, but we are still not sure how the penalty will be handled. He will probably lose his license for a period of time, but when it is a different state's driver's license, how does that work? Iowa and Minnesota have different penalties. IA says there is a possiblity of jail time, community service, and/or classes. This is 300 miles away, so how is he to take care of this especially if he is not allowed to drive there?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">