• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

also known as

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joyjoy

To Whom It May Concern:

I am an 18 year old from the state of Illinois. I have had the name my father picked on my birth certificate my whole life. But, I was raised under another name. I have been known under this "unofficial" name my whole life. Now that I am older, it is causing lots of problems. I don't want to loose my "official" birth certificate name. And I would like to also keep my "unofficial" name. So, I would like to get an also known as to have both names legal. Can anyone help me figure out how to do this?:rolleyes:

D

dorenephilpot

You can petition the court for a name change.

Do a little research at the library, and you should be able to do this yourself.

If you hire an attorney to do it, it shouldn't cost much because it's a not a particularly tough thing to do.

Best of luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">