• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Common Law Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PDMiles

Richmond, Virginia: My Mother-in-law's boyfriend past away recently. He left a house and a lot of money. He verbally told us his mortage was paid up a year in advance and that his daughter is to give her $5,000. His family will not recognize this. What can she do? Does Virginia recognize common law marriage. They were together for 27 years.:(

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PDMiles said:
Richmond, Virginia: My Mother-in-law's boyfriend past away recently. He left a house and a lot of money. He verbally told us his mortage was paid up a year in advance and that his daughter is to give her $5,000. His family will not recognize this. What can she do? Does Virginia recognize common law marriage. They were together for 27 years.:(
My response:

No, Virginia is NOT a common law marriage State.

Further, she's not your mother-in-law because she was never married to her "boyfriend".

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">