• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting an idea financed to start a business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

michael1113

I am trying to start a business in KANSAS and need a lot of direct, personal advice. I have read through numerous postings throughout the message boards here, but I cannot seem to find anything relating to my particular concerns.

I have an idea for a new, unique type of technology for the internet. I have searched the internet and United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) for any pending or applied patents with this type of technology. I cannot find anything. I would hire a patent attorney to research the records, but I am limited on capital to do so. I will explain a little further down.

I have been told over and over again to create a business plan, and have worked with my local SCORE and Small Business Development Center in my community, taken some college classes on business to get a better understanding, but still unable to produce anything to get me started in the way of financing.

Here are my concerns:

According to the patent attorney, I need to develop this technology into a beta prototype; a live, working demo. Once that is complete, the programmers (who will have their name on the patent for development), will create a document stating what is involved in order to create the technology. I don't have enough personal equity (approx $1000 in liquid cash) to hire or subcontract a programmer or team of programmers. I know that once I develop a business plan, I can get investors involved.

Questions:

How do I get investors involved so that I can finance the development of technology? A patent attorney did advise me that a demo prototype with "patent pending" would protect me the best (without financing and programmers, I can't), since some people with money may look at the idea and run with it. I want to be able to describe in detail what it is I am doing, but what do you think?

What can I legally offer to them in exchange for their money? (I would be willing to give a % of equity in the company, but I have NO company! I haven't even set up a DBA account yet.) I would like to keep the programmer on once the business goes, but that is another issue. I will need to recruit management and so forth to get it going. I will not be part of the day to day management, instead I would like to sit in the back seat and keep the ideas coming. There are some people that I know I could raise about $40,000 from, but I have no idea what to offer to them for their funding of the project. I have been told to work with Direct Public Offerings in my state, but I cannot afford to go that route either.

How does one create a business plan with no prior sales or present management? I know that investors sometimes look first and last at the management section, and that a great idea is not enough.

Help! I would appreciate any feedback, and possibly a step by step plan on what I should do next. I will check this board daily for new replies. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">