• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 minor needs help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

friendofminor

We have a friend of our child who lost her mother in auto accident 10-22-01. The 17 yr. old presently is staying with maternal grandmother who has cancer. Recently grandmother was placed in hospital, child doesn't want to stay at maternal aunts because of issues. Father is ok with child staying at our home. Aunt has a big problem with this as she wants control or situation. What is the law in Nebraska on this issue. Childs mother had a friend in Chicago she could go live with but would prefer to stay here near family and friend/school.
What options does this child have? We really want child to be happy without added stress, losing the mother in itself is enough stress for child just turning 17 20 days before the accident. Child was in the accident with the parent and survived.

Any help/advice appreciated.
THANK YOU!!!
Friendofminor

F

friendofminor

The mother had custody, she is now decessed. Father is now the only parent. Child living with maternal grandmother who is dying of cancer.

Child wants to live with us. Father doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Counseler at school seems to think emotionally she will be better off with us.

We truely love this child and just hate to she her so stressed. Her school work is starting to suffer and she is a honor student. Thinking if finding her a lawyer to talk to.

G

Grandma B

The father needs to get the court to switch custody to him. As the only surviving parent, it's his legal right. He can get an emergency hearing for temporary custody. Once the change is made, he can let her live with you if that's what they (and you) want. You should be congratulated for trying to help this child.

jyoung

a 17 year old is probably able to petition for emancipation due to the circumstances and take on all decision making responsibilities.
Speak to any local family attorney and check out that option.

F

friendofminor

Just a thank you to all posts. Good news. The school counselor and a Theapist met with this young teen and the father. They all came to the conclusion that the best interest for the child at this point is to move out of the sick grandmothers and move in with my husband and I. I guess they already spoke with the Aunt and she was really mad. The father and the mother had joint custady so that isn't even the issue now.

The look on this young persons face is relief. I hope in time this young one will return to a somewhat normal life (what ever that is). We really care for this young one and hope we are able to help them in a good way.

Again THANK YOU!!!!!!

G

Grandma B

That's wonderful! With the joint custody, there was never a real problem though. Dad could have taken her at any time and placed her with you. I wouldn't worry about the "step" aunt being mad. This isn't about her, it's about that young girl.

Bless you for caring for the child. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">