• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I create an "alias" or must it be a full name change?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hayden

Hello,

I am a 20 year old guy in California. I am half Saudi and half American, but have an Arab first and last name. I honestly think I would be afforded more opportunities in my life with a more “normal” name (especially in the near future). My question is… can I just create an “Alias” for my daily life, or do I need to complete a full name change and never use my current name again? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You don't need to "legally" change your name. You can call yourself anything you like. Some people are known by their nicknames all their lives. Ever known anyone who called themselves "Ace" ? It's highly doubtful that a mother or father would actually, and legally, name their child "Ace" - - but, there it is - - someone calling themselves "Ace".

So, open a phonebook, and pick a name. I've always been partial to "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" - - but, that's my own personal bias. You're free to choose any "nickname" for yourself you might choose.

Just make sure Mom doesn't mind.

IAAL

H

Hayden

Thanks for your feedback "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE".

I think I may want it to be more than just a casual nickname. I would want to use it on job applications, etc...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

If you're planning to use the new name for anything more than casual reference to yourself; i.e., job application, then you're going to need to file your Petition for Name Change.

It's an easy, easy, task to have your name changed "legally" in California. So, you might want to check the "legal section" at Barnes & Noble Booksellers bookstore for a "how to" book, and then file your Petition.

Good luck my little Arab friend.

IAAL

H

Hayden

Thanks again IAAL!

Just so I'm totally clear... I must change my name completely... there is no way to create any official "alias" or "also known as"...

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Hayden said:
Thanks again IAAL!

Just so I'm totally clear... I must completely change "your name" from from one to the other... there is no way to create any official "alias" or "also known as"...

My response:

You're welcome. However, you don't want to change MY name, do you? I really like it just the way it is . . .

But, in YOUR case, you can only have one, official, birth name. Therefore, if you want to change your birth name, and make everything you sign "official", you'll need to officially, and legally, change some part, or all of, your name through the court system.

No, there are no "official" alias names or a.k.a. names - - for people that is. Those are merely called "nicknames."

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">