• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it possible!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ernbar

Last week I wrote you and asked you about a contract question on my internet provider who shut me down because my 3 family used over 400 online hours last month. I was told that they can do this even though it states 24/7 on contract. Well when they put me back online this time they made me put some numbers in place's that I never had to put them before and now when I log on it states LOGGING ONTO REMOTE COMPUTER NOW! Does this mean that they are studing my time on the computer and worse, watching every thing I'am doing on the computer?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ernbar said:
Last week I wrote you and asked you about a contract question on my internet provider who shut me down because my 3 family used over 400 online hours last month. I was told that they can do this even though it states 24/7 on contract. Well when they put me back online this time they made me put some numbers in place's that I never had to put them before and now when I log on it states LOGGING ONTO REMOTE COMPUTER NOW! Does this mean that they are studing my time on the computer and worse, watching every thing I'am doing on the computer?

My response:

"Paranoia runs deep. Into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid. Step out of line, the men come, and take you away . . . I think it's time to stop, hey? What's that sound ? Everybody look what's going 'round."

IAAL

Z

zdomain

Technical Answer

I think he is suggesting that you are being a bit paranoid.

Your question appears to me to be technical rather than legal. Since I am an engineer rather than a lawyer, I'll give it a try.

Whenever you log in, you connect to a remote server for various reasons. They use these servers to verify your login and password, properly bill your account, and protect themselves and their customers from "undesirables" on the internet, among other things.

If they suspect illegal activity, or activity that does not conform to their usage policy, they may monitor what you are doing for a short period of time. But the expense of having someone watch your every keystroke prohibits monitoring for a long period of time, or monitoring every account.

If you are concerned about how your provider is treating you, ask your friends about what they think of their providers, and use that information to pick a new one. Read the contract and terms of use carefully, to avoid a repeat of your current problems.

racer72

Why did you delete the previous post I answered? IAAL used lyrics from a Yardbirds song, I used lyrics from the Kinks song Destroyer. "Paranoia will destroy ya!!!"
You still haven't read the terms of agreement with your ISP. All the major ISP's all say the same thing, the service is AVAILABLE 24/7. It does not mean you can use it that much. They all also state that they reserve the right to limit service to those that exceed normal service limits. Did you know that you can buy your own server for around $1200 and not need any ISP service? The law firm I am interning at has their own server with a T1 internet connection. Instant access and no time limits. Wish I had one at home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">