• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inground Pool

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hunter97

Purchased an inground swimming pool 2 years ago and have had nothing but problems...i.e. rust spots, pool is not level, tile & coping cracked (builder does not want to honor warranty). :mad: Submitted a claim with BBB that went unanswered by builder. I am now in the process of filing a complaint with consumer affairs. In the interim, I have had other pool companies over to access damage, and have received repair estimates averaging $20,000...my question, has anyone heard of the term triple sue? :confused: The reason I ask, is that one pool company mentioned that I could sue the builder for triple the purchase price. Since I'm almost positive that this will go to litigation, I just wanted to get a better understanding of what I am entitled to (beside the actual cost to repair my pool, what about grief, aggravation and attorney fees?) Any replies would be greatly appreciated :)

L

loku

What the pool company probably mean by triple the purchase price is “punitive damages.” You would have to talk to a New Jersey litigation attorney or someone in Consumer Affairs to find out if New Jersey allows punitive damages for your situation. You also might get an answer by posting the question on our "Litigation Bulletin Board."

There would be no damages for your grief and aggravation. If you hire an attorney to handle this for you, s/she will probably charge on a contingency basis.

G

G.Chulsky

Pool installations are considered home improvements under the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act. As such, it you can prove the contractor violated the act, you are entitled to have any resulting damages tripled and further the contractor must pay your attorney's fees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">