• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is it leagl for a school to with hold records???? My school is!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jd4science

I am in idaho and used to go to a private school until 3 weeks ago. They now want all the money for all of this year. They absolutely rufuse to give me my records until all the money is paid,is this legal?? I need to go to a new school an can't without my records. Thanks

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jd4science said:
I am in idaho and used to go to a private school until 3 weeks ago. They now want all the money for all of this year. They absolutely rufuse to give me my records until all the money is paid,is this legal?? I need to go to a new school an can without my records. Thanks
My response:

In the private school setting, the physical records belong to the school - - until you've paid all that is due to them under your contract.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jd4science said:
there was no contract
My response:

Is this a high school or college ?

Who enrolled you - - yourself, or your parents ?

Idaho Education Statute
33-603 Payment of fees or returning of property.

The board of trustees of each school district shall have the power and the ability to require as a condition of graduation, as a condition of issuance of a diploma or certificate, or as a condition for issuance of a transcript, that any or all indebtedness incurred by the person when he was a student be satisfied, or that all books or other instructional material, uniforms, athletic equipment, advances on loans, or other personal property of the school district borrowed by the person when he was a student of the district be returned. Provided, the board of trustees of a school district or its designated employees may excuse the requirements of this section upon an adequate showing of financial need or other exigency and shall not delay transfer of school records to another school district or enrollment of the student in any other school.

[I.C., § 33-603, as added by 1992, ch. 112, § 1, p. 341; am. 1996, ch. 138, § 1, p. 463.]

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">