• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

silent partner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

beachflo

North Carolina; 3 equal shareholders of an incorporated business in which the relationship has gone bad. I was te store manager until late July when I quit to seek employment that could pay me a wage. I have not been active in the business since quiting as manager other than to review the books each month. The board just held a meeting that I attended and I have been voted off the board. I have requested the shareholders buy my shares but likely they will not.

Where does this leave me? Am I now a silent partner and if so, what does that really mean? Am I obligated financially for further investments if the business is not paying for itself? :confused: Thanks!

L

loku

WHERE DOES THIS LEAVE ME?
From what you say, it leaves you holding stock that is currently worthless to you. (If the business starts to make a profit, you could have some dividend rights as a shareholder.) Also, if the business starts making a profit, your shares would be worth something.

AM I NOW A SILENT PARTNER AND IF SO, WHAT DOES THAT REALLY MEAN?
You are not a partner, silent or otherwise, you are a shareholder.
AM I OBLIGATED FINANCIALLY FOR FURTHER INVESTMENTS IF THE BUSINESS IS NOT PAYING FOR ITSELF?

As a shareholder of a corporation, you are not liable for any of the corporate debts, nor do you have an obligation to make further contributions to the corporation; therefore, if you maintained the corporation's legal status properly, and avoided personally guaranteeing the corporation's obligations, your corporation, and not you, would be solely responsible for its own obligations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">