• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ninalou

PA - I need help in understanding what defines a verbal contract. (ie. Past experience?) Are there any laws that define this and where can I find a copy.

I had a verbal agreement with a businessman I had previously done business. I requested the same arrangement as in the past. This man did not provide the same service as he did in the past which in turn cost me more money and he damaged my property. I refused to pay the full amount bc he didn't provide me the whole service. He did this bc (I hate to say this) I am a single woman and there was no one there to defend me. He took me to court & won.

I am appealing, and am filing a counter claim, but I need more of an understanding in preparing my appeal. Pls help!

racer72

What you should have done in your case you did backwards. Even though the person did not provide the service as prescribed, you still liable for the payment as was agreed, that is why you lost. It was a slam dunk for the provider. You should have paid the bill in full then sued for the lack of service. I would suggest dropping the appeal, pay the person, then start a fresh suit against this person. In the original case, the question was "does she owe me money for services provided?" and of course, he won. The question was not 'were the services provided as agreed upon?". In your appeal the question is still the same and you have no defense for that question. But the other person does not have an answer for the second question. You need to reconsider your strategy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">