• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex roomie broke our oral contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

biogrrrl

arkansas
A)ok, me and two of my friends decided to rent an aprtment for 13 months. the rules of the complex allowed only two people to be on the lease and the landlord was very strict about this policy. so me and friend A signed the lease. We all three moved in with a verbal agreement that rent would be split three ways. The phone bill would be divided by individual call and the utility bill would be split three ways. this was how we lived from april through october. then on november first roommate B (the one that was not on the lease) left without notice. roommate A and I then had to split the cost only 2 ways and decided to terminate the lease, where we split the termination fee. ok, we have mail that was sent to the apartment for roommate B, we have email where she admits to living there, we have witnesses to our verbal agreement between the three of us. is there anyway we can sue her in small claims court for 1/3 of November's rent, 1/3 of the November utilities bill (the bills run late so october was still on the november bill), her share of the november phone bill, and 1/3 of the termination fee. is our verbal agreement with her not equivilent to our (mine and roommate A) written agreement with the landlord.

b) the roommate B previously mentioned did not have enough money to pay for her share of october rent or any of her bills, so my name being on the lease and the bills i was forced to cover for her. she agreed she would get me the money when could. i have emails of her saying "i do not intend to stiff you on the money i owe you" and another one saying "i will get the money to you when i can" . well it is now december and she has decided that she is not going to pay me back. she wrote me a letter stating that she had no intentions of reimbursing me. can i sue her for it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">