• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Could They?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confused2001

Hi,

Ok, here is my story - It was around 1:30-2 AM, I was planning on going to a party, I had been drinking - so I decided to rest a while in my car before I headed out - unfortunately I fell asleep in my car, which was parked in a private parking lot of the aprtment complex where I live-

A security gaurd saw me, tried to wake me up and upon failing to do so - maybe out of concern, called 911 - the cops showed up, I was awakened by the glaring lights coming from their flash lights, stepped out of my car, they searched me, I was still totally confused as to what was going on - the officer concluded that I was drunk after I failed to remember the alphabet in the correct order - so they cuffed me, took me to the station, got my bio, searched me again and then I was locked up for 8 hours - i was released the next day, and they didn't tell me anything so I guess there was no charge -- I need your feedback on the following-

1- How could they treat me like this, I still feel that I did nothing wrong - I wasn't even driving, is it a crime to be found sleeping in your own car?

2- Will there be a police report of this incident? and is it possible for me to get a copy?

Thank you, I will really appreciate your comments.

I called the station and it turns out that no charges were filed
" they just took me in for my own protection and released me when I was sober" - the only good that came out of the whole situation- a valueable lesson " never to sleep in my car again"

Last edited:

racer72

1- How could they treat me like this, I still feel that I did nothing wrong - I wasn't even driving, is it a crime to be found sleeping in your own car?
While drunk, yes. It is called intent. You should have been in the back seat.

- Will there be a police report of this incident? and is it possible for me to get a copy?
You will have to supeona the police department. A lawyer can do this very easily.

Last edited:
H

Humble Warrior

If all they did was lock you up for the night,you got off lucky...consider it a blessing.
They have to lock you up for protection of yourself. If they didnt,and you later drove,or hurt someone else in some way,then THEY are liable for it.
If you didnt get a citation on the spot,you might get one in the mail later on for Public Drunkeness. If you dont hear anything in about ten days,call the station,and see if a charge was filed.They might have just let you sleep it off,and called it quits right there.
If they did file any charges on you,it is most likely a PD charge,and you'll get a fine somewhere around $250 for it.
In my state(Pa,) you would still be in jail,and sit there until you went to court, or got bailed out.Consider yourself lucky.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">