• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice on my DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WashingtonRon

Hi I'm Ron from Everett Washington. Two weeks ago I crashed my vehicle into a telephone pole. Nobody was injured, I was the only one in the car. I didn't hit any other car due to it being a rural road. I'm 19 and this is my first time in trouble with the law ever in my life. I was cooperative, took the field sobriety tests, the roadside breathalyzer test also. I blew a .198, any clue on what is going to happen to me?

D

dabear

word of advice

first of all, you are 19. Blowing over a .02 on the PBT is just cause for arrest. You were .198. You probably don't remember to much of that evening. Who made the arrest? County, City or State? You need to get you an experienced lawyer. They cost allot of money but they are better than the court appointed lawyers. You need to have a lawyer go over your case and all details. It sounds pretty open and closed. Where there any witnesses that observed you driving? Too many questions that need to be asked and answered.

racer72

To clear up some misinformation by dabear. In Washington state, a DUI is not a criminal offense, you do not get a court appointed attorney. If you want legal advice, you will need to hire an attorney. Also, no one needs to see you driving. Wrecked car + you drunk = DUI. That is all the evidence needed.
You do need to hire an attorney. Right now you are looking at loss of driving priveliges till you turn 21, a fine of $10,000 and because you blew twice the legal limit (.08), a year in jail. An attorney that deals with DUI cases will get you in pretrial diversion programs that will help lessen the chances of jail time or loss of your license. Don't say you can't afford one, you can't afford not to have an attorney.

H

Humble Warrior

Dont sweat it too much kid. You screwed up for sure.....but it aint the end of the world.
You'll have to pay for damages to the pole,and anything else you damaged. You'll have to pay a fine($2500+-),you might get a few days in the county jail for a wake-up call,and you'll have your license suspended for about a year, or more,and you'll be on probation for about 18 months to 2 years.
This was your free-bee......if you screw up again,they will throw away the key on you. There is no second chance stuff anymore....this was it.

D

dabear

believe me

RACER72 doesnt know what he or she is talking about. I am a State Police Officer, I make plenty of DUI arrests, I think I'm qualified. DUI is a CRIMINAL OFFENSE! You are entitled to a court appointed lawyer! I'm telling you to find a lawyer that is not court appointed. It does make a difference if someone observed you driving. I would not take any advice from RACER72. I am not trying to tell you how to get out of a DUI, but trying to help you understand the situation a little better. I am also in the State of Washington.

racer72

Dabear, to clear up some possible misinformation by you, a DUI in Washington is still considered civil citation UNLESS prosecuted by the DA's office. And in King county where I live, only 3 out of every 10 DUI cases is prosecuted. The others are treated just like any traffic ticket, only the penalties are much more severe. In fact, how many DUI arrests do you make that the person arrested serves the full 24 hours as specified by our state laws? A coworker of mine is a reserve officer in Pierce County and he says he releases about half of his DUI arrests to a family member or friend. He does this because most are released before he leaves the jail anyway.
And to quantify my previous answers, RCW 46-61-506 states that a DUI can be a civil or criminal violation, and RCW 46-61-504 states what conditions can be used for a DUI arrest (our young writer met some of those) and RCW 46-61-503 set the penalties for those under 21 that drink and drive. And that statute plainly labels a DUI by someone under 21 as a misdemeanor.

D

dabear

ME AGAIN

racer72 I love a good debate. RCW 46.61.502 is the code for DUI. DUI is a Gross Misdemeanor. I don't know what you are talking about when you say a civil citation? Does that mean regular infraction? Infractions are violations that are given monetary penalties that you do not have to see a judge. Citations are 1) Criminal 2) Infraction. Just because this young man is 19 does not mean he cannot be charged with RCW 46.61.502. We use RCW 46.61.503 if the driver is under 21 and consumed alcohol to the point where he/she is atleast .02 but not to the point where as he/she would fall under RCW 46.61.502. There is no state law that states a person must serve 24 hrs in jail. That might be different agencies policies. In fact, I release 98% of my DUI's. The only way they will go to jail is if they are rude and out of control. RCW 46.61.506 does not state a DUI is a civil or criminal violation. I don't know if you are reading these RCW's or getting it from your reserve friend, but please read it again. RCW 46.61.503 is a midemeanor you are correct. Misdemeanor means criminal not civil or infraction. Maybe you are correct that 3 out of 10 DUI's are prosecuted because the majority plea bargains. It sounds to me that you have been watching to many COP shows. I don't know where you are getting your information, but it's wrong. If you would like to debate more e-mail me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">