• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a chance???

• Thread starter Always Somethin
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Always Somethin

:eek: :confused: I was involved in a car accident which totalled my car. It was not my fault and it is noted as such. But... I got a DWI. I live in CT but this happened in NY? Any advice???

F

FKNA

What is the evidence they have against you? Video of field sobriety test.....breathalyzer? These are key as to what your chances are. Also, even though you were not found at fault, was the other driver found at fault? Or is it considered a no fault accident?

A

Always Somethin

They asked if I had been drinking (Friday nite and all). I replied that I had two glasses of wine. They did Field tests - two I passed - I could not do the heel to toe thing (which I can't do anyway!). They took me to the station and did a Breathalyzer.
They informed me before I left that the other driver was listed on the police report as being the cause of the accident. He was issued a ticket

F

FKNA

Contact a lawyer.....sounds like you have a good chance of getting off. Do NOT hire the first lawyer you come across. So many of them out there just want to take your money and take whatever plea the DA offers. Interview several lawers until you find one that will go to bat for ya.

A

Always Somethin

Thanks for the reply. My only issue is time - I have to be in court in less than 2 weeks. Any thoughts on how to find the right lawyer?

F

FKNA

I would suggest first typing everything up, how the accident happened, how many field sobriety tests you underwent, exactly how you messed up on the test, what you blew, who was at fault, etc. Reason for this is so you can give each lawyer you interview the same information in the begining. Set aside a day so you can interview 5 or more lawyers. Also have a goal in mind, be it going to trial and being found guilty, accepting a plea of 10 days in jail, whatever. Just have a clear picture of what you want the lawyer to accomplish for you prior to seeing them. DO NOT let the deciding factor on choosing a lawyer be price. Just because one may charge twice as much as the rest doesn't mean they will be able to get you off, nor just because someone charges less than the others mean they are lousy. N E way, having everything written down comes into play when you start interviewing lawyers. Even though I may think you have a winnable cause and even though you think you could win, neither one of us are lawyers. You may find out after present each of them with the same information that 4 out of 5 may say it's a unwinnable case and you should take a plea of ____? When interviewing them, ask very specific questions. If they say it's a winnable case, ask them how they would get you off. How did the get others off in similar situations, etc. Remember, it's YOUR $$$ that you are spending. If your gut feeling says get up and walk out now, do just that and move on to the next lawyer.

Hope this helps

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">