• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kennel Reservation Deposit/Cancellation Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hokie

A phone call was made to the kennel in Roanoke, VA in mid May 2001 for reservation for 2 dogs, starting around 6/16/01. To guarantee reservation, the kennel required Vet Records and Deposit no later than June 1, 2001. A "Confirmation of Reservation" was sent with the deposit amount and due date of 6/1/01, however neither the Vet Records nor Deposit was ever sent and no contract for services was ever signed, therefore by their own policy, we did not require them to hold a space for the dogs. Upon our return from vacation a letter was received 6/20/01 indicating full payment for stay was owed. An immediate call was made to the business to discuss with no return call received, (serval other calls were also placed) only an unprofessional harassing letter on 7/31/01. Immediately other calls were placed to the business with requests for return calls and immediate resolution, again no return call was received. Another letter was received basicly saying that "you were lucky and we were able to rent the space for all but 3 days, (coincedently the amount of the 3 day cancellation policy)thus resulting in a new charge of $72.00. Immediately another call was placed to the business to discuss and bring to immediate resolution. Again, the kennel owner chose not to return any of the calls. Several weeks later, the debt of $72.00 which is not owed was turned over to a credit collection agency with threats to place with credit bureau and ruin our perfect credit history. According to the letter, we had to respond in writing, which we did to both the kennel and the credit agency, also additional calls were made to discuss, again no response. Another harassing letter was received this time from the credit agency, again a written response was sent to the kennel and the credit agency. Another phone call was placed and again, the owner would not return the call. the kennel sent another harassing letter on 12/1/01 still demanding the $72, another call was placed and again the owner will not return the call. We do not owe the money! Are we right on this one or do we actually owe them money. I did not sign anything or send a deposit as requested. I don't want my credit ruined, therefore should we just send the money?

vrzirn

I guess you did not believe you owed them the courtesy of a cancellation call. You will cause yourself a lot more grief over this than it is worth. Pay the bill and be more considerate in the future. That includes cancelling restaurant reservations you cannot keep.

JETX

You made the reservation and paid the deposit. The fact that YOU failed in providing all the other information is YOUR fault.

I can imagine your outrage if you had shown up with your dogs and they refused to accept them because of your failure.

Pay the amount and learn from it.

H

Hokie

I don't think either of you who made the post understand my position. I did NOT send the deposit. What is the reason for asking for a deposit to confirm a reservation, if it is confirmed anyway if it is not paid? If I had refused to pay a deposit, then could I have expected them to hold my space for the dogs? I didn't pay it as asked so I could have cared less what they did. They can't have it both ways.

JETX

Okay, you're correct, I did misunderstand that you had in fact paid the deposit (I assumed that they were billing you for the reserved days less the deposit). I guess our confusion came from your statement implying that you had sent the deposit ("A Confirmation of Reservation" was sent with the deposit amount and due date of 6/1/01...").

In any case, you made the reservation, they apparently reserved the space at your request. (Their error in giving you the benefit of the doubt!).

You said you couldn't "have cared less what they did". I guess that was true UNTIL they decided to hold you to your word and attempt to collect the 'promised' deposit.

Bottom line is that you made a reservation. You failed to cancel the reservation (I guess assuming that you had no money at risk, so screw them!). Now, they claim that you owe the deposit and that they held that space open for you. They could have a valid claim that they held the space for you and should be compensated. You also have a claim that you never sent the deposit or other required documents, so they shouldn't have held the space for you.

Your question bears repeating... "I don't want my credit ruined, therefore should we just send the money?"
If you want to protect your credit, pay the money. If you feel that they are really wrong, then sue them. If they feel that you are really wrong, they could place a 'hit' on your credit report and/or take legal action against you.
Your choice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">