• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI only part of nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

ThelmaLouise

Long story short: I was lured to Riverside CA by my husband, who was supposedly there on a business trip and needed my help. Of course I found out soon enough that he was really planning to break up with me then (and leave me $100,000 in new credit card debt accumulated-by him-during our 4 month marriage).

When I got there, he suggested we go have dinner, during which he encouraged me to have a couple of drinks. Afterwards, he informed me that he'd used my financial resources to court another woman, and that he was leaving me for her. He bodily threw me out of the hotel room and demanded that I go back home (to Oregon). I waited in my vehicle (at the restaurant parking lot-across from the motel) for a long time (2 hours after 2 drinks) before driving. I was certain I'd metabolized the alcohol I'd consumed when I left the parking lot in search of another motel. "Husband" was watching me and reported me to the police. They followed me for some time as I sought another room, and admitted that I'd made no traffic errors, and that they'd pulled me over only because of "husband's" admittedly exaggerated report. They convinced me to get out of my car by making it sound like they were going to help me find another room for the night, but arrested me instead. The breathalyzer recorded a .09.

By the way, that was the last time I ever saw my "husband," and I later learned that the woman he left me for lost over $500,000 and both of her homes because of him.

I've hired a CA attorney, and I can't prove it, but I don't believe that he's putting much effort into winning my case. Is it possible that he just wants an additional trial fee and doesn't care whether I win or lose?

Why would they let my "husband" entrap me like this? And of course, more importantly what can I do? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

H

Humble Warrior

Well,as far as the money hubby got you for.......tough luck. If a woman burns a man like that, it is considered to be his dumb fault. If a man burns a woman,you want him hung because now you are sweet and innocent.You guys wanted equal rights,you got it!! You just got equally screwed.
As far as the DUI goes. Is Ca a 0.08 state? or is it 0.10? If it is the latter,you dont necessarily have a DUI. When the count is that close it is usually up to the officers' descretion to determine if you are impaired. Even then, the DA can drop the charge.
If Ca is a 0.08 state,and you had a .09, you were legally drunk....no getting around it. The best your lawyer can do is plead your case.
Yes...your hubby can call the police and turn you in. As a matter of fact(even though in this case it is an act of spite), it is his civic duty to report an impaired driver.
By the way, Unless you were drinking pure grain-alcohol,you had more than two drinks in two hours,to blow a 0.09. I cant find my chart at the moment,but assuming you weight about 130 lbs(average) you would have to consume about 4 to 5 drinks in that time frame.
When you talk to your lawyer,and go to court....do yourself a favor,and get honest....don't pull the imfamous "I had two beers, Your Honor..." That is the code for "Please nail my drunk ass to the walls,Your Honor"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">