• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cellular contract extended w/o my knowledge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sean24

Last January I signed a 12-month agreement with Cingular in Ithaca, NY. On 1 June 2001, I transferred my service to Central Massachusetts (where I live now). There were several problems with the transfer - I continued to be billed (for $300) on my old account and was never sent a new/modified contract to sign for my service in Mass.

I am terribly displeased with Cingular and want to switch carriers next month. When I called to inquire about it, however, they said that the market transfer resulted in a new contract term that does not expire until next June. I said I was never told of this and never signed anything agreeing to it. They claim that by using the service I agreed to the contract and it doesn't matter that I didn't sign anything.

I realize that using the service could imply agreement, but what if I was not aware of all the terms of the contract (specifically the new term of the agreement)?

Thanks,
Sean

racer72

Read your original contract. It contains the terms for transferred accounts. The implied service contract is legal and binding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">