• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

student's civil rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

em comer

from kentucky,
my 16 yr old daughter was brought into an office & questioned by 2 asst. principals & a county deputy that is stationed at her school, about a letter that was written by someone??, just because she knew the person the letter was written to & is was signed "jo" & someone else. her middle name is jo but she does not use that name. the officer read her her miranda rights, but stated that he would not file charges against her & let her go. no citation was given to her.
now i have an inquiry notice for disorderly conduct & a date to appear in juvenile court.
also, last month this same problem with a letter happened, except there was no charges filed, but my daugther did get 2 hrs detintion because she got upset by the officer for calling her stupid!!. i talked to the principal about the first time & let him know that no one was to talk to my child unless i was present.
no one called me!!! nor did they allow my daugther to call me.
is there any legal recourse for us? has my daugther's civil rights been violated?
em comer

L

Losman

In Michigan, a student (who is in possible trouble) cannot be questioned by the police without the parents consent. I would consult an attorney

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">