• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sign Posted NOT RESPONSIBLE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sunnymilhi

I checked my expensive leather coat at a coat check inside a club. There was a sign posted NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST OR STOLEN ITEMS. My coat was given to another patron by the coat check person. I want them to reimburse me for my loss. How do I do this?:mad:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Sunnymilhi said:
I checked my expensive leather coat at a coat check inside a club. There was a sign posted NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST OR STOLEN ITEMS. My coat was given to another patron by the coat check person. I want them to reimburse me for my loss. How do I do this?:mad:
My response:

By suing the club and it's owner (and the coat check person, if possible) in Small Claims court. They cannot waive their own "active negligence" by relying upon a sign. Look at it this way - - what would be the purpose of handing out "claim check receipts" if they could just hand out coats, etc., indiscriminately ?
This is the way the judge will look at the situation.

Now, you need the "Claim Check", a photograph of you with the coat, and a receipt for the coat to show the judge. Remember also, you are not entitled to the replacement value or the current value of such a coat. You are only entitled to the "reasonable, fair market value" of the coat as of the date it came up missing; e.g., if the coat cost you $430.00, and it was 3 years old, it may only have a "fair market value" of $250.00.

So, get your evidence together, then go file your lawsuit against the club and owner, and subpoena the witness (the coat check person).

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">