• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Contract/Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

webshari

Ok, so I know everyone says not to sell anything to family, but that's just what I did.

I wrote up a contract and had my cousins sign it for a vehicle that I was selling. WE agreed that he would make payments on the vehicle until it was paid off, that I would hold registration and title until such time as it was paid off, and it had an indemification clause for me in it also.

I sold the car for $800 less than it was worth because they needed a car. In the contract, there is a clause that states that when they sell the car (they only wanted for a year) I would get any amount over the amount they paid for it.

They promised me $800 as a downpayment but chose to pay The $125 payment instead - and it was three weeks late - using the contract as fuel. Now that the next payment is due a month and a half later, they are insisting that I take the car back because the timing belt broke (something I could not have foreseen, and is estimated to cost $200 to fix).

Because of their recent behavior regarding other things and this car, I do not trust that they will return the car in the shape it was given to them (save the belt). Do I have to take the car back or can I gain restitution in small claims court? And if I do take it to small claims court, can I get the amount that the car was worth because of the 'they will pay me the proceeds' clause?
:confused:

Oh yeah, this is in Washington State

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">