• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petition for driver's license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

ferretlady3

My driver's license has been suspended due to a DUI a year ago. It was suspended for 3 years, but the judge said I could petition to get it back sooner as long as I follow through with my probation and other requirements which I've been doing. My question is how do I go about petitioning for the return of my driver's license without using a lawyer? I'm sure it's too soon, but one never knows so I'd like to try but don't want to waste a lot of money by contacting a lawyer. Where would I get the paperwork and am I able to do this on my own? I live in Lakewood, Ohio and the case was through Rocky River, Ohio.

Thank you for any advice!:)

H

Humble Warrior

you can petition until your eyes water.......you not going to get it back.
The judge is not the local Department of Trans
The judge can give you 100 yrs of suspension.....but it is not up to him.....the Dept. of Trans. ........THEY make the rules......they can say one year,and the judge can say 50 yrs,the DOT wins......the DOT is completely separate from the law,and the law is completley separate from them.

F

ferretlady3

Another question

So can I petition the DOT? or is it a waste of time? I'm just wondering why the judge told me that I could petition for it sooner?

H

Humble Warrior

You can petition the DOT,but it probably wont do you any good. Most states have very strict rules on who gets a permissive license and why. For example in my state (Pa) there is no way in hell as a DUI offender, you'll ever see a license untill the suspension time is up,not even for work purposes.

F

ferretlady3

Thanx for your replies. I do have work, medical, AA meetings, and school (college) priviledges so I guess I should just be glad I have that and 'do my time for my crime'.
Thanx again!

B

bini

Hi!

I am from Kansas. First thing I realized in your post was who said your license was suspended for 3 years. The judge or the DMV (or in Kansas it is now called "Internal Revenue Service - Driver Control") I do not know about your state but Humble warrior was right The DMV and the Judicial system are two different intities and it is the DMV that suspends driver licenses. The judge has no jurisdiction in this. (If the Judge says 3 years and the DMV says 1 year then it is suspended for one year.) So if I was you I would call up the DMV or Driver Control in your state give them your license # and ask them first what is the status of your drivers license, and what if anything you can do to fix any problems with it. (like how can you get it reinstated). You do not need a lawyer to do this, unless of course you want to pay an attorney to make a phone call for you. And no it is not a waste of time. In fact I was in the same situation that you are in. of course it was awhile back and when I called up the dmv to ask what I need to do to get my license valid again they told me that it was just expired and all I had to do was take the test. It will probably not be that easy for you though since laws are much harsher now. But please remember to find out what the status of your license is. This is easy, just ask them when you call if you have a valid drivers license. if the DMV says no it is suspended/restricted just ask them what needs to be done to rectify the situation. They should be more than willing to help you.

I hope this helped.

Good luck to you!'

Bini!!!

F

ferretlady3

Thanx

Thanx for your help. Yes, I did contact the DMV - thru the website I got the information as to how to get the status of my driver's license and sent for the info. It came back and said it was suspended for 3 yrs (I have 2 to go), and not only that, but the reinstatement fee when the time is up is $450! I have driving priv's, so for now, I'll just have to be content with that. I was also wondering that if when my 3 yrs is up, if I 'give up' my driving priviliges by getting a state ID (which in Ohio you can only have one or the other, not both, so by applying for a state ID, it cancels my driver's license), then just retake the test again for my driver's license will I be able to avoid the $450 reinstatement fee or will it still be there on my record... I know if I call the DMV and ask, first of all I doubt if anyone who works there is smart enough to know, and in the event I DO find someone who knows, I don't think they'd tell me. How else could I find out?

H

Humble Warrior

When you owe the system a buck.......you owe them a buck.Your not going to get out of it Keep the privilages,pay the money,then re-apply for a license.
I know it hurts.....but look at it this way......you didnt kill someone,and your OK,and you can still drive(to some degree). In my state you wouldnt stand a chance(Pennsylvania).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">