• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a student defend themselves from physical harm?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

murry

i'm from Texas and would like to know if a student has the right to defend themselves from physical harm from another student. due to Texas' zero tolerance rule in reference to fighting, i'm being told it basically doesn't matter who instigated or initiated the fight. regardless of why the fight occurred both students receive the exact same punishment. so does that mean if a student pulls out a weapon, one should do nothing and hope they are not severely wounded? What are my rights in this type of situation?

D

dorenephilpot

Check your school's student handbook.

I believe you'll see the logic in both parties being punished -- otherwise, they spend hours on he-said she-said and never really know the story. Does that rule create unfairness? Yes.

Is it legal? Yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">