• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability as joint owner of checking account.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cldickerson

When my stepson was under the age of 18 I helped him open a checking account by becoming a joint owner of the account, as required by the bank. I failed to remove my name from the account after he reached the age of majority and moved out of the house. He since wrote a check in the amount of $600 for which he had insufficient funds. The check was covered by Tele-Check who now claims I am liable because I was listed as joint owner of the account at the time he wrote the check. They are threatening action against me personally.

He wrote the check after reaching the age of majority and becoming emancipated. Am I liable for paying the amount of the check? Any advice would be greatly apreciated...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">