• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sale of a car to a relative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

McDowell_Angel

i am in louisiana. i sold a car to my sister with the verbal agreement that she would pay me monthly on the car and if she could not keep up payments she would return the car to me. the problem is that i signed the title over to her through an act of donation to save her from paying the taxes on it. she has had the car almost a year and has only paid me 4 months out of the year. i have kept receipts of payments she has given to me, and have kept a written record of everything that has been said or done between us with regard to the car. my father is also aware of the agreement i had with my sister.

do i have any legal recourse to get the car back... or any other options?

L

loku

Your sister has breached the contract. You could probably take this to Small Claims court, which in Louisiana has a limit of $3,000. You could sue to get the car back or to have her pay the balance of the contract price. You may have some trouble with proof of the agreed amount since there is no writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">