• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

File Suite or Work With Univ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MBAStudent

File Suit or Work With Univ?

Hello,

During my last course, an argument developed via e-mail between my instructor and me. Eventually, he began calling me “immature” and I called him “unfit”. I wrote to the department head and made her alert to the growing problem. Later, I spoke to her by telephone and thought that she would resolve the differences between my instructor and I. This conversation took place 1 ½ weeks before the final exam. At the end of the semester, I was given a ‘C’ in the course.

There is no doubt in my mind that the professor intentionally gave me a low grade. Should I try to resolve this through the university or should I hire an attorney? I have no desire for any monetary gains; I simply want an accurate grade. Also, what should I look for in an attorney?

Thank you,

Dallas, TX

Last edited:

HomeGuru

MBAStudent said:
Hello,

During my last course, an argument developed via e-mail between my instructor and I. Eventually, he began calling me “immature” and I called him “unfit”. I wrote to the department head and made her alert to the growing problem. Later, I spoke to her by telephone and thought that she would resolve the differences between my instructor and I. This conversation took place 1 ½ weeks before the final exam. At the end of the semester, I was given a ‘C’ in the course.

There is no doubt in my mind that the professor intentionally gave me a low grade. Should I try to resolve this through the university or should I hire an attorney? I have no desire for any monetary gains; I simply want an accurate grade. Also, what should I look for in an attorney?

Thank you,

Dallas, TX
My response: MBA student, welcome to the real world.
I hope that instructor was not teaching English because the word is suit as in lawsuit. Not suite.

M

MBAStudent

Thanks for the spelling tip. I was actually hoping for some advice.

ellencee

Unless otherwise stated in your college handbook, the instructor, who I suspect is really a professor, could have given you an F. Such latitude exists in Master's programs.
I recommend that you say thank you and go on.
fyi--between the instructor and me, not between the instructor and I. It's elementary, my dear MBA student.

M

MBAStudent

The instructor is an adjunct, with no prior teaching experience, and does not hold a PHD.

Last edited:
D

dorenephilpot

Sounds like you learned a very valuable lesson that will help you in the business and education worlds:

Don't piss off a superior and then expect him or her to be fair (or expect the person not to retaliate).

Human beings aren't wired like that.

And a suit, the gist of which is that your grade wasn't "fair," will most likely be expensive and fruitless.

Expend your efforts on your education and lesson-learning instead.

Best of luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">