• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FERPA Clarification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

ferlee

In Massachusetts--From research I seem to understand that FERPA allows at the very minimum viewable access to records, regardless of financial status. Basically, I still owe an institution money, but I would like to see how I did there. (It was some time ago.) I clearly understand the policy of not releasing official (or third-party) transcripts due to the indebtedness. However, since they only release "official" transcripts(which require payment in full), I feel that they are violating FERPA by not allowing me an unofficial grade sheet. Additionally, would it affect my debt that I was a minor at the time of attendence. I was not *legally* emancipated, but financially cut off. How to proceed?

D

dorenephilpot

How to proceed?

Pay your bill.

Then ask for an official transcript.

F

ferlee

Working on it...

Maybe I could have been clearer. I *am* in the process of paying them. I fully acknowledge my debt and am on a payment plan. However, I was looking for grades in the meanwhile.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">