• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Big problem for a small business...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Shannon FL

I've been in business for six years with two growing spa/salon businesses. I was always under the impression that I was an S-corp. The first year when I became incorporated my accountant handled the paperwork for me. However, I never knew I had to refile the corporate papers each year. Therefore, I have filed for 5 years with the IRS as an S-Corp, but in actuality I am back to being a sole proprietorship since I never updated my corporate information. (I have just found out that if I don't refile the corp papers that the corporation automatically dissolves.)

I am so absolutely petrified about telling the IRS (or my Accountant) about this screwup. I am very worried that with the income I have shown over the last 5 years that I am going to be hit heavily with penalties and back fees, anything else imaginable. I am also surprised that the IRS never caught this, as I have used this same Fed. I.D. number for 6 years now.

Any advice.... ? I'm afraid to call the IRS and tell them all this before I know a little more of what I'm in for. :(

Shannon

S

Shannon FL

P.S. Thanks in advance to anyone who would like to throw out any ideas to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">