• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MA: Comm. Law question......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A question regarding MA Law on starting a new business. I am familiar with all aspects for the type of business I am looking to operate; ie: licensing, insurance, bonding, employment, etc.. My question is: If I live in an Apt., and I start a business (home), is it possible to coduct the business from the Apt. with-out having to lease office space. It should be noted, that I will be the sole prop., the only employee, and actual business operations will be conducted on/from the road. I would be considered an Independent contractor, so the Apt. would only be used for billing, printing and business phone calls. I do have permission from the landlord, since the operation will not affect the location, ie; parking, visitors, etc.. Later, once dividends allow, the move to a Class A/B office space is planned. Would it be legal to operate my business from the Apt.?

S

StephenShane

I have been operating a business in Massachusetts since 1986. Home office is legal if the premises is zoned for commercial business which my condo building and most converted apartment buildings are however the town will have say as to whether they present you a certificate of business if the unit is zoned for residential. I have lived in a few towns that don't think twice and write the certificate regardless and other towns which required a short talk with the authority who signs the certificate. One majore concern for the town is the traffic your business would present to a residential community.
Consider that many plumbers, electricians, contractors, commision based salepeople, self employed accountants and real estate agents are home based. Vendor attitude varies and it is usually only an issue if delivery is involved or if undercutting the market is possible due to low overhead as in the resale of consumer goods. In light of an answer from an attorney, one call to your town hall will answer your question.......Your bank will require the certificate to open a commercial account and the State and Federal taxing authorities will only be concerned that your filing procedures are timely and accurate. I tired of making the presentation of an office or shop based business as I operate a Mobile Auto glass replacement business and home improvement company and soon learned it posed no problems with vendors nor customers as long as the checks were good and the the quality of service met expectations.

A few notes for you to consider.
Purchase voice mail with multiple mail boxes from your phone company or a second line. Set up seperate mail boxes for business and personal to keep things seperate. This way you can close your doors for the night.
Shop insurance to many brokers as you will find prices vary.

Stick a sticker with a company name inside your mailbox so the postman and any temps learn about your home based business. This avoids your bills and checks being lost or returned address unkown.

"I am not a lawyer however as I have more than a general interest in the Judicial system, I tend to retain what I have learned within true life experience and I have taken time to pass it on to you as I thought it might be useful." In some cases, my reply may contain an expressed interpretation and/or opinion of law as it makes sense to me which may be correct or by the same token incorrect as decided by a governing authority."

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">