• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Math disablity. Can I sue former public school system?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brian99

Hi, im a college junior (4th year, planned on doing it over 5yrs though). Im enrolled in a Michigan public univ. Anyways I have ADHD also I have a math deficentcy. Whereas I only had basic mathematics thought my public education carrer, therefore I am at a disadvantage when it comes to math.

My case is that im majoring in political scince. As one of the requirements for the major, I have to have a math style class (statistics, gamma, pi, algerbra) bascially a bunch of stuff that I would never use in my real life anyways. I will have to repeat the class again in the winter semester, (I already looked into waiving the class, but the univ where I go wont do such a thing).

Can I sue the my former public school system, aslo located in Michigan for creating my math disablity. Also can I get some sort of compensation for pain and suffering for this. I also planned on completing school in 5 years or less now that looks like it may be on the hot seat as well, would any compenstaion for being in school longer get me lost wages that someone with my major would make in first year of employment.

Sorry for making this so long, if you are interested you can read more about my problems on this other thread. https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?threadid=63958

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You also have a "magor spllelling deficentcy" too.

In response, however, your answer is "No." The school system offered the course, and it was up to you to "apply" yourself by not being absent, doing the work, studying, and applying what you learned. The "system" was not there to hold your hand. It's called "personal responsibility."

Nearly every student has some sort of "disability" and there's not much money to go around in Public school systems to "accomodate" each and every form of disability. So, it was up to you and your parents to get the extra tutoring that you may have needed.

IAAL

Last edited:

tigger22472

Glad you answered him IAAL, If your answer was yes he could I was going to tell him to try suing for them not teaching him proper grammer, spelling or just simply common English traits.

D

dorenephilpot

If you were a special needs student who had an Individualized Education Plan devised for you by the school, it was your parents' duty to make sure that it was suitable for you and that the school complied with the terms of it.

If you did not have an IEP, then you were a regular ed student and not really in a position to demand any kind of outcome as to your education.

Schools aren't required to get students to a certain level or ability. I'm sure you can see the logic in that.

Now that you recognize that there's a problem, it sounds like you need to dig in, work hard to get yourself up to speed.

D

dorenephilpot

It was nice while it lasted.

Now I'm getting back into the groove and attacking the monster-sized piles that grew on my desk during my sojourn.

Thanks for watching the fort! ;-)

B

Brian99

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

You also have a "magor spllelling deficentcy" too.

In response, however, your answer is "No." The school system offered the course, and it was up to you to "apply" yourself by not being absent, doing the work, studying, and applying what you learned. The "system" was not there to hold your hand. It's called "personal responsibility."

Nearly every student has some sort of "disability" and there's not much money to go around in Public school systems to "accomodate" each and every form of disability. So, it was up to you and your parents to get the extra tutoring that you may have needed.

IAAL
:RANT MODE: On
Ok, maybe I over looked a few words when I was typing, but I dont see any major errors on my original message. I would wish whenever people come on here they not get insulted for their problems like you smart @$$ relpy to me. I dont post that much on here, but in other messages that I have read that you have replied to, I seen the same trend with comments like,"Oh, thats not the other persons fault, even though they brought on the damage" and age insulting remarks such as when a 16 year old was tired of being a target of police discrimination while driving and the 16 yr. old was looking for a reply you put something on there like: "oh and quit being such as punk you little kid".

People such as myself come on here to look for opinions regarding issues, not be be insulted or made to feel bad about our current situations. Sure some people may have visible problems but that is no excuse to insult them in a reply. If you are a lawyer, you should be acting more professional. Even though there is no "Attorney to client" relationships here, people need to be respected and you could at least try to be understanding to these people even if there is nothing that can be done about it.

Oh, and about the responsibilty thing too, I can only be responsible so far in the process. Think about it, the schools were the ones who made the decision back when I was younger to keep me out of normal level math classes, so therefore, I am deprived of any math skill above the basic level. So there the schools are AT fault (as far as im concerned) for not keeping me at the regular pace. I know I got some catching up to do, but I can do what I can do. And besides the schools NEVER asked for my opinoins on this, so I feel that makes them guilty of this.

:RANT MODE: Off

Last edited:
B

Brian99

tigger22472 said:
Glad you answered him IAAL, If your answer was yes he could I was going to tell him to try suing for them not teaching him proper grammer, spelling or just simply common English traits.
Again, another insult here. I didnt think this was the place to act like little children. For more about this, read my reply about this post.

BTW, if this keeps up whenever I ask a question and get insulted, I will request that my account be deleted from this site and remove myself from any lists affiliated with this site also.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Would you please post the actual answers with regard to this :

"but in other messages that I have read that you have replied to, I seen the same trend with comments like,"Oh, thats not the other persons fault, even though they brought on the damage" and age insulting remarks such as when a 16 year old was tired of being a target of police discrimination while driving and the 16 yr. old was looking for a reply you put something on there like: "oh and quit being such as punk you little kid"."

And, in your current post, I was highlighting a FACT for you. If you wish to take it as an insult, that's your problem, not mine. I would hope that you take it as an opportunity to improve yourself, because your communication skills give you a poor "first impression", and the belief (at least for me) that it's not only your math skills that are holding you back.

My initial answer stands.

IAAL

B

Brian99

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

And, in your current post, I was highlighting a FACT for you. If you wish to take it as an insult, that's your problem, not mine. I would hope that you take it as an opportunity to improve yourself, because your communication skills give you a poor "first impression", and the belief (at least for me) that it's not only your math skills that are holding you back.

My initial answer stands.

IAAL
I am always a good speller and use grammar at an average level that someone my age should use. I admited that I overlooked a few things, so that should stand. Hey at least I am taking responsibilty for that right, geez were all human here, were all prone to make mistakes. And no, I dont need spelling help, just math help that I originally came here to look for (ok, not the whole nine yards, but advice concerning it).

Im sure smart people make mistakes too, say a math whiz for example may screw up a simple addition problem once in awhile.

You seem to need help in not insulting people and learn to help people cope with problems.

B

Brian99

BTW, I would like to thank dorenephilpot for actually giving me a good answer. I knew this wouldnt be something, even by a long shot but it never hurts to ask.

For those who insulted me, take a look at this image below. This is me looking at your uncaring and unprofessional remarks. I am also not coming back to post on this site ever again. I will ask whoever is in charge of this site to kill my posting account and I will remove myself from all mailings that come from this site.

http://www.fototime.com/17919E1B27C6799/orig.jpg

C

Cool1

If EVERY other kid in your high school math classes was also flunking college math, you might have hope of some kind of case. But if just one kid from high school was doing well in his college math classes, you wouldn't stand a chance.

ccarter

Brian99...Just a quick question:

How come your parents didn't do anything to make sure you got the math help in high school that you needed? They did know, didn't they? Just a thought. Personally if my children were doing poorly in school I see that as my responsibility to make sure their needs are met, not the schools. That's a lot of the problems with younger kids today, parents aren't held accountable for making sure their children do what they are supposed to and learning how to take responsibility for their own actions. And why we end up with kids that go and shoot up the schools because they don't like what a teacher or one of their friends said to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">