• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CDL License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

judyc

indiana, arrested for drunken driving and property damage 12/16/01, breathalizer tested at .17, first offense, not on the job when committed. is it possible to keep the cdl license due to "hardship?" need the cdl license to keep the job, sole provider for family of 3 with the 4th due 1/28/02, wife on pregancy leave with past complications. can he present his own defense?

unfortunately with a CDL the do not care if you were on the job or not (do you have a hasmat endorsement), you employer might have something to say about that in your handbook. if their insurance rates go up that can use that as an excuse to dismiss you. you might be able to get a restricted license but it is still up to your employer. do you know with a CDL you can be placed "out of service" for I think 48 hrs if you are tested at work(random) and have any trace of alcolol in your system (federal guidlies).

H

Humble Warrior

Now for the truth.
By being a truck driver,you are held to a higher standard of conduct. You are supposed to be safer than the rest of us.
What may happen is that you can take greater sanctions,and maintain your license to drive,you just wont be able to drive in the state in which you got the DUI.
Plan "B" is that you will become a cashier at Burgr King,and you lose all of your career .
You should get in touch with a mouth-piece and quicky. In most states you are very screwed.

PS
you should have thought of this before it happened(job, & family) now do the math take all of the costs,the worries and the pain,devide it by the number of drinks you had.
I would guess it just cost you about $1500 per drink
That is the most expensive beer I ever saw!!
I"m not innocent.....read my profile.........but i just wanted to give you food for thought

F

FKNA

Humble Warrior..."I would guess it just cost you about $1500 per drink"

I guess you missed where they blew .17. My guess is that got a pretty good bang for their buck, something more along the lines of $1,000 per drink. :)

Seriously though, H.W. ain't joking...you may be able to hold onto your CDL....but no matter how you look at it, you're screwed. Even while holding onto your CDL, company could dismiss you. New company can refuse to hire you. And the per drink cost is outrageous.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">