• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

recieving partial payments.......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

StephenShane

originally posted in "collections" which seems to contain more topics towards consumer bankruptcy law......

Massachusetts.

I operate a Hanyman/homeimprovemnent business.

My customer base is generally repeat and I bill monthly or the bill is sometimes withheld for on going punch lists.

This summer I withheld two from homeowners whom lived in the same district. I was unable to complete a "last project" for one customer as parts were not availble locally and I chose not to reschedule a "last project" for the other when she failed to notify me she would not be home for an appointment.

Both bills sent,,,,,Both homeowners ignored the bills. I sent second copies with a note that I would pursue in small claims. Both shortpaid. One sent a list of reasons and left a ten minute message how she thought we were friends. I sent the checks back with VOID on the front, as I thought cashing them would be considered payment in full. Since then one has sent another check for a lessor amount which I returned and she has now sent another check for 50 of 220.

The Question:
Can I deposit these checks? I figure the homeowners are too, under the assumption that my cashing is considered settlement in full. My thought is they think that I will take the lessor to avoid collection time. My thought is I I cash them and sue, they will lesson thier consideration for court and choose to send a balance before the court date.

I have learned my lesson and every new customer is COD for 3 months.
I thought cashing would be considered payment in full

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">