• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay Utilities?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Evelyn9898

i recently moved out of my three bedroom apartment in indiana due to unability to pay rent, utilities, and other bills. i was also very unhappy living there because my two other roommates made me feel very unwelcome in my own home. i am still paying the rent as i told them i would. however, i did not agree to continue paying the electric and phone bill, which is in my name(i am going to be cancelling the phone bill so it will not be in my name). now, they are insisting on my paying the electric and phone bills. they are threatening to take me to small claims court to get their money. the electric bill is a total of $60, and the phone bill is a total of $55. of course we had agreed to split it three ways before i moved out. now they want me to continue paying a third of it. my rent is up at the end of april. do i still have to continue paying the electric and phone even though i am no longer in the apartment using them? can they take me to small claims court on a verbal agreement? i have told them that i will not be paying for those any longer considering i am not living in the apartment.
also, when we moved into the apartment, there were four people on the lease. one of them never moved in. another one moved out after a few months. neither of them got their names taken off of the lease. after those few months, another name was added to the lease. so there are a total of five people on the lease. is this legal? also, can i get my name taken off of it, so that i will not be responsible if they do not pay? thank you very much!

Tiffmh

That's ridiculous! You are not using any electricity so you should not have to pay for it. Tell them you'll pay for what you used. what a bunch of dorks. Good Luck.

Z

zdomain

You should not have to pay for electricity and phone service you are not using, but your problem is that the bill is in your name. In effect, you have agreed to pay the bills when you put the utilities in your name, and you are the one the utilities are going to come after to get the bill paid. It is your credit rating that is at risk.

Tell your former roommates to get the bills in their name, and if they don't, go have the power and phone shut off to get the bills out of your name. But you may be forced to pay the bills as they are.

Z

zdomain

Sorry, I thought your name was on the electric bill as well. But it looks like only the phone, which you have taken care of. Go to the landlord and get your name off the lease if you can, as well as any other bills that may be associated with the apartment.

If I wasn't living in the apartment, I wouldn't pay for the electricity or phone either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">