• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

setyle

:confused: While living in Tennessee I received 2 DWI's bwtween 1981 & 1983. I served 45 days in a penal farm and was released. Upon my release I was not notified of anything else I needed to do. I then moved to North Carolina where I have lived ever since. I have had a valid license with no infractions and I went to renew my license and was told that I neeed a letter of release from Tennessee. When I called I found that I had an outstanding fine and had to take an Alcohol/Drug Education program since my last violation. Is there a Statute of Limitations regarding this issue? My time was served but the fine and the class requirements were not met.

T

T-DESIGNER

I am no attorney, but I am thinking Statue of Limitations
only apply to bringing charges against you. Charges
were brought against you, and you were fined and
sentenced to 45 days in jail. If you did ask about
the fine after getting out of jail, you probably asked
the wrong person or wrong department.

I suspect you are still obligated to pay the fine, but I
question whether or not you are required to take an
Alcohol/Drug Education program; i.e., that ruling was
probably started after you was in the penal farm; i.e.,
after 1983. It sounds like the State of North Carolina
is imposing an additional sentence to your original
infractions.

Citizen Brown

B

bini

I know it has been along time, but just do what they say and get yourself out of the system. Usually an education class (in Kansas it is call alcohol/ drug information school ) is a one day (all day long) class that is held on a Saturday. So just call whoever you need to call and for gods sake get it over with or it will hang over your head for the rest of your life.

Good luck to you

Bini!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">