• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Merchandise Restocking Fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DavidP

I recently bought a camcorder at a BestBuy store in Illinois. I had initially selected a model I preferred, but was encouraged to purchase another model. The salesperson seemed sincere and very knowledgeable, so I chose the model he recommended. He then informed me that I could take it home and try it out, and that if I decided I didn't like it, I could return it within 14 days. I brought the camcorder home, opened the package and tested it out. I began having second thoughts, and, after doing some additional research, decided I should have brought the model I originally had picked out.

Two days after my purchase, I attempted to return the camcorder to the store, but was then informed I would have to pay a 15% restocking fee. This policy was actually printed on the back of the receipt, although I only know this because they pointed it out when I tried returning it. The salesperson (unintentionally) misled me to believe I had 14 days to try out the camcorder, and never mentioned the restocking fee.

I want to know if I have any grounds for not paying the restocking fee and appreciate any advice you can offer.

Tiffmh

Sorry, but I really don't think you do. Maybe if you ask them nicely or talk to the same person. Good Luck.

G

glomaz

I feel that the salesperson failing to mention a 15% restocking fee is of significant importance. At the time of sale it was a matter of "how do I get this guy to leave with this...I could mention the 14 day return policy...but I'd better not mention the re-stocking fee, who in their right mind would rent a camcorder for 2 weeks for 15% of its cost."

Unfortunately, what are you going to do? The receipt acts as the contract and Best Buy definitely covers its back. In their defense, there may be people in the world buying camcorders for each of their vacations and holidays only to return them. So ask a lot of questions next time and study the small print.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">