• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scholarship Pay back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tonckawa

My son had a full 4 year scholarship to a university through the military. In his 3rd year of college he dropped out. The military in charge at the college says he has to pay back the 2 1/2 years he attended college. Soon afterwards, my son was notified from a collections agent that he has to pay them now because the military turn over the pay back to them.

Questions:
1. Is this now considered a "student loan"?
2. My son was told that he cannot get out of this pay back. He has to pay it all back no matter what. Is this true or false?
3. Can my son file for bankruptcy because he really cannot afford the monthly payments for such a long period of time?
4. He has been paying on this pay back for close to 3 years now, is the collections agent obligated to give him a statement of balance owed or any interest involved?

The college was in Virginia. The collections agent is in Texas, we live in FLorida now.

Thank you.

D

dorenephilpot

I believe you'll have a better chance of getting a response on the consumer bankruptcy board.

Please repost there....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">