• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st Year Law Student Needs Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

legionbar

I have just finished my 1 Sem. of Law School and am faced with my first real legal problem. Please help me!

All of the following events/tranactions occured in Georgia.

My girlfriend's car was hit by another car. The insurance company for the car that hit her paid for a rental car while my girlfriend's car was being fixed.

My girlfriend picked up the rental car up and told the rental car guy she has "never rented a car before." He fills out the form for her and just "X"ing where she should sign. The rental car guy asked my girlfriend (verbatim from her) "Do you want to use our insurance or yours?" She replied "I have insurance." He says "OK - Sign here" (waiving the optional supplemental insurance offered by the rental car agency.) She also signs that she accept damage responsability.

So she drives the car and a rock hits and cracks the windshield. She returns the rental car to the rental car agency and we get a bill for $490.00. My girlfriend only carries liability insurance and HER insurance company refuses to pay the $490.00. The rental car agency maintains that they called my girlfriend's insurance company before she drove the car off the lot and were told by them that she had full coverage. They do not let cars off the lot unless they have full coverage, or something equiv.

The insurance company (the person who hit us) that was paying for the rental car says that they would have paid for the additional insurance if the rental car agency would have asked.

Do you think we are stuck? I wish I knew more! Could you please give me some advice or point me in a general direction. We cannot afford to pay 490.00, which by the way is way over the estimates that we got. We can barley afford to eat after textbooks, rent, et.. We DEF. can't afford to pay 490.00 for a cracked winshield.

I was not with her during any of the renting of this car.

Thanks for any help you can give us!

HomeGuru

1. refuse to pay it and expect the rental company to sue in Small Claims Court.

2. pay the amount by working out an affordable payment plan.

Note: since you are in law school, for homework read the front page to confirm rejection of the insurance coverage offered by the rental company AND the terms and conditions on the reverse side of the rental contract. It is the small print on the reverse that states the user's liabilty.
You will plainly see that your girlfriend is liable even if she had her own separate insurance coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">