• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teacher/Coach conduct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

autoles

I live in Michigan. last year my oldest daughter played volleyball for this coach. At the beginning of the season the coach told her she could not take the ACT test because it conflicted with a VB tournament. She told her if she took the test she threatened to bench her for the season. Later that season my daughter was punished for going on senior trip(a school sanctioned function). This is a violation of school policy. All through the season the coach yelled and screamed at my dauther to the point that other parents asked me what the coach had against my daughter. The treatment of my daughter was different than anyoone else on the team. During one extreme incident, she singled out my daughter during a timeout of a game and screamed at her so the entire crowd could see. My daughter is tough and has never cried, but during this incident she broke down. The crowd fell absolutely silent and was stunned at what they had seen. To make a very long story short, I have filed four complaints against the teacher/coach with the athletic director and the principal. Several other parents have also filed similiar complaints of misconduct. My daughter has since graduated and now my younger daughter is on the team. The coach has stated to the freshman coach that my oldest daughter is not allowed in her gym. My youngest daughter is on the team, and was the JV setter last year. The coach has taken the freshman setter and made her the setter for the team and my daughter is not allowed to play that position or even compete for it. It is clear retaliation against the complaints we made. Question: I am caucasion, my wife is Filipino and my daughters are 50% Filipino. Our school is 99.9% caucasion. My daughters are the only minorities on the team. Does this constitute discrimination? A federal civil rights violation? I have asked to speak at the next school board meeting. I know the school has a civil rights enforcement officer. What are my options and what should I do next to seek justice for this teacher/misconduct?

D

dorenephilpot

What she is doing sounds outrageous.

You definitely need to bring up her behavior to her boss and to the board, if necessary.

Start first with trying to go above her and work it out that way. I would suggest that your efforts be written, rather than via phone so that you have a record of your attempts to try to resolve this problem. Also, if it is written, your concerns will be taken more seriously.

Then if your efforts fail, you might consider a suit.

Sounds like a difficult situation. Hang tough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">