• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nothing in writing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joshtatum

This past Jan-March I did some contract work for a chip manufacturer in Northern California. I got the contract through a headhunter who owns a business in MD and took 10% of the billable. We also agreed that the expenses for my time out there were to be passed on to the customer. I was paid in full (late) for my hourly work there but have yet to receive reimbursement for any of my expenses. I was told by both the headhunter and my manager at the customer site that as long as the expense reports/receipts were received by my last day there I would get paid. He now claims that since the receipts didn't get there until my last week, I "shouldn't hold my breath".

Questions:
Is there a time limit for me to act on this?
Do I have a case without anything in writing?
Do I need a lawyer in Maryland or California?

Thanks in advance.

L

loku

If you were told that you would get reimbursed for your expenses if you turned in your report by your last day there, and you did turn it in by the last day, then the payment was part of your contract and you have a cause of action for the expenses.

There is a statute of limitations on contract actions. In most states it is between 3 and 5 years.

You have a valid case on your oral agreement. However, it is difficult to prove that you had such an agreement. What you have going for you is that expense reimbursement is often a part of such contracts, so the court is likely to believe you. If you are suing the chip manufacturer, then you will probably need to do so in California; therefore, you would need a Cal lawyer in you do not take this to small claims yourself. If the headhunter guaranteed you the expense reimbursement, then you could sue the headhunter in MD.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">