• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking vs. Standing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Giandeau

I received a $100 ticket in D.C. for parking at 4:40 at a meter near a sign that said "1/2 hour parking 9:30 am to 4:30 p.m." and a sign that said "No standing 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m."

I maintain that since I was at the meter, not in my car, no hazard lights on, that I was parking, not standing.

Is there a distinction between the two? If not, why was the same sign posted around the block, but with "No standing or parking"?

G

Giandeau

Could you please explain why? And why the distinction on the sign around the block?

racer72

You state that the sign says that parking is legal between the hours of 9:30 am and 4:30 pm. You also state your car was parked at that location at 4:40 pm. Your car was in a location deemed illegal by the sign on the pole. You also state that you were standing next to the meter. The second sign says no standing between 4:30 pm and 6:30 pm. You were standing in a no standing zone too. You should have received two tickets. What the sign around the corner has on it has absolutely no bearing on your case at all. You were not parked or standing on that street.

G

Giandeau

Ok, but the sign did not say there was no parking after 4:30, it just said that there was only 1/2 parking until 4:30; the meter I was parked at allowed for more than 1/2's parking. Further, I maintain that I was *not* standing, as the sign prohibited--I was *parking*. The sign around the corner has a bearing because it indicates that there is a difference between standing and parking, and since I was not standing in a no standing zone, it seems to me I was legally parked. Also, the citation said "no stopping/standing" yet the posted sign said nothing about stopping.

Please understand, I am not responding simply to disagree; I would like a clear, legally substantiated explanation as to how I broke the law.

Last edited:
M

marcus_aurelius

Parking vs standing

I do understand your argument and one of the issues is the legal 'distinction' between parking and standing. I agree you were 'parked' at that spot, but you need to ascertain the locality's working definition of 'standing'. However, on another point it may just be a situation where the sign's language does not fully demonstrate it's intent. For instance, does the sign adequately relay the message that no parking is allowed (although it is not ruled out by the language contained)? This may be the case.... which leads to the deliberating question whether the average person understood the sign to mean exactly how parking enforcement interpreted it. If the 'powers that be' deem that the average person does the same, then you're pretty much out of luck. However, if you present your case in such a well-prepared and thought out manner, you may get the fine waived or reduced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">