• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smclaughlin

i am about one week into looking into start a business, and i'm looking for very general information. if i were to get a lawyer to help me set up a very simple sole proprietorship or partnership in ohio, what would the approximate cost of the legal advise be (i.e. about $100, $500, $1000, etc.)?

L

loku

For most small businesses, the best and easiest way to limit personal liability is with a Limited Liability Company (LLC). It protects you as well as a corporation would, but with much less formality. It is also much easier to form and maintain.
Before starting a business, I would recommend you read the FreeAdvice material at http://business-law.freeadvice.com/starting_a_business/ and the IRS material, which contains much more than just tax topics, at http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/bus_info/sm_bus/pre-start.html.
Also your local chamber of commerce has business kits that have about everything you will need available at a low price.
It is difficult to predict what a lawyer would charge you to set up the business. That would depend on the type of business selected (partnership, corporation, LLC, etc.), the size and complexity of the business, and how much of the work of setting it up you would do yourself.

C

CDTECH

Needed documents to file an LLC

I agree that an LLC is the best way to go with starting a new business but where can you get a template or checklist of all the needed documents that have to be filed?

I visited the State's web site and The Articles of Organization (2 Pages) is nothing more that stating the name of the LLC and who's filing the document??? In NY that cost you $200 ???

Are there any other documents that need to be filed as well???

What if any must you do when filing an LLC????

L

loku

I AGREE THAT AN LLC IS THE BEST WAY TO GO WITH STARTING A NEW BUSINESS BUT WHERE CAN YOU GET A TEMPLATE OR CHECKLIST OF ALL THE NEEDED DOCUMENTS THAT HAVE TO BE FILED?
You may be able to find a How-To-Do-It book on starting a NY LLC. Such a book would have the checklist; however, if you look at the material I suggested, you will find all you need to know.

I VISITED THE STATE'S WEB SITE AND THE ARTICLES OF ORGANIZATION (2 PAGES) IS NOTHING MORE THAT STATING THE NAME OF THE LLC AND WHO'S FILING THE DOCUMENT??? IN NY THAT COST YOU $200 ???
Correct. The LLC is started by filing the Articles of Organization and paying the $200.

ARE THERE ANY OTHER DOCUMENTS THAT NEED TO BE FILED AS WELL???
None with the State. However, you should get a business license from NY City (call City Hall about exactly how to do that), and you will eventually have to file tax returns for the organization.

WHAT IF ANY MUST YOU DO WHEN FILING AN LLC????
See above. Also see the NY site at http://dos.state.ny.us/corp/llcfile.html.

If you still feel reluctant to proceed with this, I suggest you hire an attorney to do it for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">