• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Towing Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

allieinflorida

My daughter's car was towed from the apartment complex where she lives (Daytona Beach, Florida). The car was parked in the space assigned to her by the apartment management, and the parking lot had signs posted from the towing company. Basically, she was parked where she was supposed to be. When she returned from vacation, her car was gone. The towing company says they removed it because the car alarm kept going off. The car doesn't have an alarm and never has. They took the wrong car!

My questions: 1) Can they hold her car for ransom, since they obviously took the wrong car? 2) Who is responsible for this -- the towing company or the apartment management? 3) If she absolutely cannot get her car back without paying, what legal remedy is available to her? 4) If the car has been damaged while being towed or in the impound lot, what can she do to recover damages?

Allie

A

allieinflorida

Well, we had no choice but to pick up the car and pay $265 ransom. Luckily, it appears to be undamaged. However, we were charged a $50 fee marked "auction 2-5-02 clerical", and no explanation of this "auction/clerical" charge was offered.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if this charge is allowable in the State of Florida (they only had the car five days). Also, does the state regulate towing services? I couldn't find that info listed on the State of Florida official site.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Allie

H

happy&lucky

the only advice is to sue the towing company and the complex in small claims court.

let them explain it to a judge!!!!!!

Hey its your right as an AMERICAN....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">