• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Minor in Possession of Alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tech

California here, My daughter who is 19 was walking with her friends, she was carrying a unopened six pack of beer, the police stopped the group confiscated the beer and ticketed my daughter for a minor in possession of alcohol.(None of them were drinking yet), She now has a court date on Feb of 2002, do I need to hire a lawyer? What are the penalties she faces? College kids on new years eve!!!, no prior problems with the law. Your expert advice will help
Thanks

H

Humble Warrior

She will most likely lose her D.L for about a year and pay a fine of about $250. She is guilty as sin in this case,and she cant really get out of it. Take the plea,pay the fine.It is not a permanent hit on her record or anything like that......it's just a misdemeanor charge. As soon as she turns 21 there wont be any concern over this at all, for the rest of her life.
This is equal to jay-walking for a legal adult......dont worry about it.

D

d_bo1

holy jebus,
loose DL for a year and a 250$ fine?

Where you asleep at alchol class?

First offense you get dl suspended for up to 1 month,
fine of 100-250 + court costs
9-12 hrs communtity service,
she is too old for defired utification

T

Tech

Thank-you for your input, but why would the courts go after her driver's license when they were walking? No vehicle involved. Is that just to punish her for a privilege?

Last edited:
H

Humble Warrior

Basically yes, since they cant get away with locking up kids any more,they take their D.L for damn near anything.

T

Tech

Thanks Humble and d-bo1,
I guess if she wasn't licensed, they would take away her bicycle, we shall see in Feb

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">