• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

murrey

I sold a car two days ago. The woman drove the car and now says the transmission is bad and wants to return the car and get her money back. I sold it in good faith and it ran fine before selling it. Am I still responsible? Maybe she did something to the car and doesn't want it. I don't know and appreciate your help. First time ever I've had a problem and had to contact legal advice.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

murrey said:
I sold a car two days ago. The woman drove the car and now says the transmission is bad and wants to return the car and get her money back. I sold it in good faith and it ran fine before selling it. Am I still responsible? Maybe she did something to the car and doesn't want it. I don't know and appreciate your help. First time ever I've had a problem and had to contact legal advice.
My response:

Do you know why none of us can help you?

Do you know why you won't get an answer?

IAAL

F

FKNA

Do you have a bill of sale for the car? If so, do you have the the "as is" clause in it?

S

StephenS

Since were all answereing with questions........did you know that in MA (hint for the original author) (2% chance I nailed it).....That "As IS" does not mean A thing in the eyes of the law however the lemon law does....??

F

FKNA

StephenS said:
Since were all answereing with questions........did you know that in MA (hint for the original author) (2% chance I nailed it).....That "As IS" does not mean A thing in the eyes of the law however the lemon law does....??
Stehphen...please educate us, why doesn't the "as is" law doesn't apply in MA? I know that with every state, that if there is a "known" problem that is not disclosed, that is a different story. After all, this was a "used" vehicle, not a new one. Thanks in advance for your response.

JETX

'Stephen' is at least partly right on this one...
Massachusetts has a fairly strict policy on condition of car sales, called the "Lemon Aid Law".

"The Massachusetts Lemon Aid Law allows you to void or cancel a motor vehicle contract or sale if your vehicle fails to pass inspection within seven days from the date of sale AND if the estimated costs of repairs of emissions or safety related defects exceed 10% of the purchase price. (M.G.L. c. 90 §7N) This law applies to both dealer and private party sales of cars and motorcycles purchased for personal or family use. Dealers must display your Lemon Aid rights by putting a sticker on the left front window of each used car at the time of delivery."

In essence, this prevents a dealer from using an "as is" statement to release himself of any post-sale liability.

Detailed information:
http://www.state.ma.us/consumer/Pubs/lemonaid.htm

Now, I would suggest that we let this thread get back to the issues raised by IAAL.

F

FKNA

Halket....thanks for the info. Remind me to never move to MA :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">