• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help, Need some advice and quick

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smaco

I am being really jerked around by a major car dealer in Georgia.

Below is a fax sent to the general manager and he refuses to repond to my situation. Can anyone shed any light on what to do. I have never stopped payment on an item before.

This is to inform you that a stop payment request on Bank of America check # 1009 has been tendered. This was payment in full for a 1991 Toyota Supra (VIN: XXXXXXXXXX. I purchased this vehicle on December 28, 2001. I would like you to understand the course of events that has led me to this decision.
On the morning of December 28, 2001, I called and inquired as the availability of the above automobile. I talked to xxxx xxxxx, who introduced himself as a manager. He told the car was available. I arrived at the dealership about 9:00AM. A very nice salesman, XXX XXXX, met me. He showed me the car and we went for a test drive. Upon returning, he was called away for a meeting and I was introduced to XXX XXXX. I asked some questions about the car and one question that I asked was whether or not the car has anti-lock brakes. XXXX looked into the engine compartment and pointed out a metal block under the master cylinder and said ?yes, anytime there is a block like this means the car has anti-lock brakes?. I decided to purchase the car and went through the normal process.
Later that night I was cleaning the car up and checking things out via the owner?s manual. It was then that I discovered the car did not have anti-lock brakes. To say that I was disappointed and upset would be putting it lightly. I would not have purchased the car if I had been told it did not anti-lock brakes.
I called XXXX at approximately 8:45AM on December 29, 2001 and advised him of the issue. I, at that time told him that I would not have bought this car had I been told about the absence of anti-lock brakes and that I would like to return the car. He told me he would have to take it up to higher management and told me he would call me back. I waited until about noon for a call back and decided to drive the car back to the dealership to settle this issue.
XXXXX apologized for not getting back to me because the morning had been very busy. I told him I understood. Some days are like that. He excused himself for few minutes and then came back. His response to my request to return the car was ? we can?t take the car back due to corporate policy, but if you want to pay the price posted on the window of another car, we can give you credit for it?. I told him that I did not walk in looking at used cars, I came into looking at this car and asked a question about anti-lock brakes and you told me it did have them. XXXX then said, ?I told you I thought it did have them, and cars as expensive as these normally do have them?. I looked at XXXXX and asked his to please not start changing his story, because his words were emphatically ?yes, it does have them?. I told XXXX that I was not upset, and was trying to settle this issue in a nice way and not create a scene, but this was not right. I was told something that was not accurate and based my buying decision partly on this fact. XXXX told me I would have to wait until Monday, so this could be brought up in the manager?s meeting at 8:30AM. I asked him who would make the decision and he gave me your name. He also said that it was just a couple of days to wait and I should have an answer then. It was then that I told him that I could stop payment on the check and his reply was ?yes, you could, but that it is illegal to do so?.
Mr. XXXX, I have tried to settle this in a very gentlemanly and friendly way. It is now 11:00AM on Monday December 31, 2001, and I have not received a call from anyone at this dealership. I have just now stopped payment on the check and ask that you contact me so this car can be returned. I do not feel there has been any dishonesty on anyone?s part, just a simple mistake. But this is a mistake that I am asking you to correct in an amicable manner. It appears that you do not want to do this and I am forced to take other steps. It is not illegal to stop payment when there are circumstances such as this.
What I am asking is one of three things:
1). Let me return the car with full refund.
2). Let me return the car and let the stop payment stand and the return of my check.
3) Let me return the car at which time, it will be XXXX XXXX?s responsibility to add anti-lock brakes to car. At that time, I will be responsible for full payment for the car.
I really do want to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Until that time, the car is in my garage and look forward to you allowing me a second attempt to return it.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

R

racingrice

Hey I know how you feel, I got screwed over too. I believe you have 10 days to return the car. It should say on your contract. If they keep refusing to take the car back, I would get a lawyer and dispute it. Have you wrote a complaint with the BBB?

vrzirn

I HAVE a 1991 Toyota Supra-Turbo that I purchased new. It is a great car and everytime I drive up to a gas station some kid asks if it is for sale. I do not know if yours is a turbo or not. Ijust pulled out the original memorandum invoice and see that 4-wheel, power vented disc brakes with anti-lock brake system are STANDARD equipment on the car. In fact, I think that outside of turbo and leather interior and CD there wasn't much of anything that was not standard on that car. Look further in the paperwork and call Toyota. You might have a pleasant surprise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">