• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can an independent 16 year old file for SS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slpkntktybby

i'm 16 and my real father died in 1999 and my mother just died recently november of 2001. my aunt said that i need to file for the SS that i can recieve from my real father and mother to put away for college. am i entitled to recieve SS from both my parents? if so how do i go about getting this taken care of?

ellencee

slpkntktybby

start today by calling the 1-800 # for Social Security Administration. they can get you started in the application process over the phone.
Depending on circumstances and facts that are not available to us on this site, you may be due retroactive benefits from your father's SS.
you seem like you have your head on straight even though you've had such loss in your life. good luck and I hope you keep your focus and go to college and become a great success.

racer72

Because you are under 18, the benefits will be paid to your guardian, not you. Also, in a case just decided in the area I live, the SSA sued a young person (now 19 and in college) and her guardian for repayment of monies paid. The persons parents were killed when the she was 9 and her aunt collected the SS benefits for the child till she turned 18. About a year ago a story in a local newspaper made liight of this and how wonderful the aunt was because she saved every penny received from SS over the years for the childs education. It was one of those heart warming do good stories, poor family saves up so disadvantaged child can attend major U.S. university. The SSA sued claiming that the survivor benefits were for day to day expensed in raising the child, not to be put away for later. The SSA won in court and took back over $30,000 from the recipient. If you want to save the money for later, don't tell anyone.

tedead

slpkntktybby said:
i'm 16 and my real father died in 1999 and my mother just died recently november of 2001. my aunt said that i need to file for the SS that i can recieve from my real father and mother to put away for college. am i entitled to recieve SS from both my parents? if so how do i go about getting this taken care of?
My wife was in a similar situation. Her father passed when she was 10 years old. When he died, his wife began receiving SS checks. When my wife turned 18, the checks came in her name, not her mothers. She received the checks when she turned 18 and stopped when she graduated from high school.

Is your aunt your legal guardian? If so I believe that she will receive the SS checks until you turn 18, if you are still in school then you should begin receiving them.

Last edited:

racer72

Deadheadted, what in the hell are you doing reviving a 3 year old thread? If the OP wanted anymore comments, she would have asked. We like to say leave sleeping dogs lie, and that applies to stale threads too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">